Thursday, May 16, 2013

Dreams Do Come True!

When I was in high school I wanted to be a fashion designer!  I had been sewing since I was 8 even making my own clothing.  I can remember having to stand in front of my third-grade class to model a jumper I had made.  I was shy and embarrassed that the teacher was making a big fuss over me.  I was so reserved the thought of going off to one of the fashion industry capitals for college (think NYC or Paris) terrified me!  So I studied art, and then business (both at the University of Oregon), horticulture and landscape design (at South Seattle Community College) and eventually landscape architecture (at the University of Washington).  All this education spanned over 25 years, during which time I made maternity clothes (for myself), wedding dresses (for friends), costumes (for my kids' preschool dress-up box), doll clothes (for my daughter's dolls), men's dress shirts (for my husband), and countless other sewing projects.  Fast forward.  While working in landscape design, my now 20-year-old son keeps growing!  He's reached 6'8" and I'm making him dress shirts just like his father, who at 6'4" seems short to me.  And he's complaining!  He can't go to the local mall and get clothes.  He walked into the local Big & Tall store when he was a senior in high school (and a couple inches shorter than he is now) and was told there would be only 2 or 3 shirts in the store that "might" fit him properly.  The problem is he isn't "Big", just tall!  Tired with the complaints about finding clothes to fit him, our whole family comes up with this crazy idea to start a clothing line for tall and extra-tall men:  www.altusmenswear.com

Well, maybe it's not so crazy.  I figure there are other moms who have sons with a similar body type who are equally frustrated.  I realize I am now doing what I wanted to all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment